Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Day: St. Patrick's Day Names


So since today is St. Patrick’s Day I thought that I would do a name blog about names to have to do with it. I already did a blog about Irish names which you can check out here:  http://rensbabynameblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/st-pattys-day-irish-names.html. I only have 7 names for each gender and 1 unisex name. So let’s get started.
Boys
  1. Chance- An English name that means fortune, luck. I put this name on the list because St. Patrick ’s Day is all about luck.
  2. Patrick- An English name that means noble. I think everyone knows why I put this name on the list.
  3. Patricio- A Latin name that means patrician, noble. I put this name on the list because it is a variation of Patrick.
  4. Keir (Care)- An Irish name that means black. This name is in the list because it is a hard core Irish name.
  5. Cian (KEE-an)- An Irish name that means ancient- I put this name on the list because it is a hard core irish name.
  6. Celtic- An English name that means of the Celtic people. I put this name on the list because Celtic is just like Irish.
  7. Dublin- An Irish name that means black pool. I put this name on the list because it is a place in Ireland.

Girls
  1. Patricia- An English name that means noble. I put this name on the list because it is a feminine form of Patrick.
  2. Patrice- A French name that means  noble. I put this name on the list because it is another feminine form of Patrick.
  3. Niamh (NEE-av)- An Irish name that means bright. I put this name on the list because it is a hard core Irish name.
  4. Saoirse (SEER-sha)- An Irish name that means freedom. I put this name on the list because it is another hard core Irish name.
  5. Siobhan (shi-VAUN)- An Irish name that means God is gracious. I put this name on the list because it is yet another hard core Irish name.
  6. Ireland- An American name that means homage of Ireland. I put this name on the list because of the country.
  7. Maewyn- An Irish name that means nimble. I put this name on the list because it was the original name of St. Patrick.

Unisex
  1. Patten- An English name that means shoemaker. I put this name on the list because it is alternative name to Patrick.

So that is my list. You can also check out my blog about green names since the color of St. Patrick’s Day is green. It is here: http://rensbabynameblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/color-series-green.html. I hope you liked it. Stay tuned for more names. Bye:).

Photo Credit: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68631243/set-of-2-st-patricks-day-shades-of-green


6 comments:

  1. Niamh is pretty popular round where I live - although most pronounce it with just one syllable. I know a Niamh/Claire twinset which I've always thought was rather sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer it pronounce in one syllable. Where I live it is not popular at all and I have never heard it on a real baby. I love Niamh and Claire together. It is so cute.

      Delete
  2. Out of these I like:
    ~ Cian
    ~ Dublin << I hadn't thought about using Dublin as a name. I kinda like it actually =D
    ~ Niamh << I pronounce it as [NEEV] though
    ~ Saoirse << I LOVE this name!!! Such a beautiful Irish name <3
    ~ Ireland
    ~ Maewyn

    =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though "If you can use the name London, you can use the name Dublin too!" haha. I pronounce Niamh like NEEV but the source I got it from said that so I thought I was pronouncing it wrong.I guess I wasn't

      Delete
    2. Good point! =D

      You never know (unless you live in Ireland of course ;D), both pronunciations of Niamh could be correct. I know some pronunciations vary a bit between regions in Ireland. For example, the "aoi" vowel combination can be pronounced with or without a "w" sound before it (depending on the name), i.e. Caoimhe can be pronounced [KEE-vǝ] or [KWEE-vǝ] =)

      Delete
    3. Yeah!

      I think it all depends on where you live.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...