Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Feature Friday: Raya


Hey guys! Guess what time it is!!!!! It’s Feature Friday Time! This week is Raya! I know Raya from formspring. Her formspring is http://www.formspring.me/cheridel and you can also check out her listography (http://www.listography.com/cheridel). You may have seen her name better on my blog because she is probably my top commenter. Thanks Raya! So let’s get started with the interview.

Me: How did you get into baby names?
Raya: It all started with my dogs and a baby name book at the age of 8. I saw the baby name book at the checkout of a grocery store one day and my mom bought it for me.  From then on, I became obsessed with giving my dogs middle names that wouldn't get them teased. They went through many of them before I finally decided. One was Zip Meat (family joke) and the other was Flash Lorenzo. I was mismatched even then.

Me: haha Love your dog names :) How old were you when you first started liking baby names?
Raya: Well, I started to think about actual names for actual babies, and not just dogs, at around 12.

Me: That's a nice age. What are your current favorite baby names?
Raya: My top five girls names are Gina Lorene, Charlie Genevieve, Jaya Paulette, Holly Evangeline, and Keely Georgette. All of the girl middles are honoring. My top five boys names are Simon Robert, Cody Bennett, Tucker Abraham, Bailey Dean, and Samuel Tristan.

Me: I really like your names. If you remember, what were your first favorite baby names?
Raya: Hahahaha. Oh man, for a boy, it was usually a variation of Simon, that wasn't Simon. I loved Simeon and Simone, until my mom begged me not to just name him Simon. Then, I realized the chipmunk connection and have loved it ever since. For a girl, it was Nicolette and/or Nicola. However, I lost interest when I realized it sounded too much like Nicorette, the stop smoking patch, and Ricola, the cough drops.

Me: haha I didn't even think of those things for Nicolette and Nicola. Why did you decide to join formspring and start making list on listography?
Raya: Stephanie aka AnastasiaRuby. I think that's why a lot of us joined Formspring. It is funny that I watched her videos for half a year before I even knew what Formspring even was. As for a listography, I just realized that I had so many names that I liked, I wanted some organization.

Me: Yes! A TON of people are on formspring because of her. What has been the most fun about formspring and listography?
Raya: Before I joined Formspring, I didn't think about names or having kids at all. In a way, Formspring has helped me reassess my priorities in life. I am thinking about having kids more than I ever was before. I also love the people on Formspring. They and you too, have been super nice to me and I enjoy talking about names, as I never really had anyone who shared this interest before.

Me: aww thanks! It's great to know you can come on formspring and there is always someone to talk to. What has been your favorite formspring question (rename, collages, etc.) and/or list you have done?
Raya: There have been a couple. I loved HelenaKoonings 10 year baby name game as well as DearMissKara's parent/child renaming spam a few days ago. My favorite collage is this one because it shows just how much of an impact my grandmother had on my life and will have on my child's. She loved butterflies.

Me: I love the nursery! I think it is a great idea and I know your little girl will appreciate it when she is older. Are you working on any formspring questions/spams and/or listography list?
Raya: Actually, yes. Last week, I did a whole bunch of parent scenario spam that got a lot of great responses. I am working on more scenarios right now. It is hard though, you don't want to the scenario to be too controversial or outlandish.

Me: I can't wait to answer them! I had a few scenarios, maybe 10 or so and I was going to send them out as a spam. They were so hard to come up with! What do you love about baby names?
Raya: When I was younger, I was obsessed with meanings. Probably because it took some time before I was able to track down the meaning of my own. It is a Hebrew name that means "friend".  Anyway, now, I am more concerned with flow and how they would sound on a real child. I have to be able to picture the child and the name and not have it be completely ridiculous.

Me: I love your name! I love it so much I did a post just on the name Raya (That was before I meet you lol). I have never pictured my favorite names on babies. Maybe I should lol :). What types of baby names to do like (ex. Trendy, vintage, etc.)?
Raya: LOL. I need to read that one. Okay, for girls names, I tend to like a bit more unique names that for boys. My girls names tend to be either aggressive, yet feminine (Gina, Charlie), trendy (Keely), or really unique (Jaya). My boys names are a bit different. I like my boys names to be either "nerdy" (Simon) or laidback cool (Cody, Tucker, Bailey). I don't know if this makes sense. I hope it does :)

Me: haha It makes sense. When did you tell your friends and family about your love to baby names?
Raya: My mom knows about it. She is the only one I ever discuss it with. Other than that, I don't talk about it with anyone.

Me: That's more than me lol :) How did/do your family and friends react to your love for baby names?
Raya: My mom mostly wants me to be quiet about it. I will always ask her this or that or what does she think, she's tired of it.

Me: At least you can come to formspring and talk with all these people who love names. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your love/addiction/obsession for baby names?
Raya: 10. Definitely a 10.

Me: I am the same way! What is the reason behind your formspring and listography name?
Raya: Cheridel is actually a shortened form of Cherise Delano. When I was a teenager, I was apart of a vampire roleplay called BloodMoon. It was a writing/email game that helped satisfy my need to write stories. Cheri Delano was a character I created for this RPG. She was a young vampire who looked like Jennifer Love Hewitt. Ten years later, I still love it and use it.

Me:  It's funny how things can just stay with us. Do you have a favorite baby namer (YouTube, blog, formspringer, etc.)?
Raya: There are so many favorites! I love your blog, though you know that. On Youtube, I love AnastasiaRuby and LunaScarlett. OMG, she is so funny! On Formspring, I like Saki aka SakiHeart because she has the most awesome names I would never use and is super sweet. I also like Lyndsey aka LNR87 because she is super funny and always makes me laugh. I could go on and on, but alas, I won't.

Me: Thanks! and Thanks for all of the comments. She is so funny! Saki has great names! Lyndsey makes me laugh too. lol Do you have a #1 fan on your listography and/or formspirng or someone who you talk to a lot because of them?
Raya: I don't think that I have been on Formspring long enough to have fans. The only person to have commented on my listography is Saki so I will say, Saki.

Me: haha What inspired you to make a formspring and/or listography besides baby names?
Raya: Well, baby names were the main reason. However, I find I also like talking to people, mainly about having kids and other parenting issues. I also like talking about music, tv, fashion, and fanfiction.

Me: I like talking to people too. lol Where do you find your baby names at?
Raya: Most of my names I have gotten are from TV, books and movies. Often, if I like a character, their name will go on my list. Some of them have also come from playing baby name games. I recently discovered a slew of names I like (Gwynn, Delaney, Livia, Linus, and others) from playing Kelcee's aka southbellewv BNG.

Me: A lot of people get their names from books and movies. It's a great idea. We are down to the last 4 questions! Do you know anyone in real life that has a formspring/youtube/blog?
Raya: Sadly, I don't.

Me: I don't either. Random fact about you?
Raya: I love all animals, especially my cat Winnie. One day, I hope to have a big house full of cats, dogs (Basset Hounds and Bloodhounds) and other various animals. I even love snakes and tarantulas!

Me: I am an animal lover too!!!! I like pretty much every animal. What did you think of this interview?
Raya: I thought it was interesting and fun. You asked me a lot of great questions. :)

Me: aww thanks :). I had so much fun doing the interview. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Raya: Yes. I would like to say that baby names are more than just baby names. In a way, it is the first gift you receive from your parents. I don't know if I would be the same person if I had had a common first name. If you don't like your name, and I didn't for a long time, just remember that it was something thought of especially for you and about you. It was given because they loved you and they loved that name.

Me: Wow! I had never thought of names that way! I agree with you. Thanks for doing the interview. I had so much fun and it was nice to talk to you.

So that is the interview. I had so much fun doing this and I loved talking to Raya. She asked great questions of formspring so go follow her there and ask her questions. Thanks Raya for doing the interview and for commenting all the times you have. Bye for now :). 



Photo Credits: http://www.formspring.me/cheridel

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...