Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

2016 Prediction Results {Top 1000}

Its been so long but I am finally looking at how my predictions for the 2016 list did! This is the first year I did a predictions list so I am interested to see how I made out. Because I am not the best at making predictions I am not expecting to be very good. To start I am going to see how my top 1000 predictions did. As a recap, my boy names were Fox, Harris, Simeon, and Kaiser and my girls were Mavis, India, Ramona, and Etta. 




Fox made its way onto the top 1000 at #746. This is the first year that Fox has been in the top 1000 and I am so excited. With animal names catching on more and more I am not surprised to see it jumping on the list. Liam Payne just named his son Bear. Will we be seeing Bear in the top 1000 in years to come? 

Harris was the second boys name on my list to make it onto the top 1000. In 2016, it was ranked at #967. The last time Harris was ranked was in 1988. Its definitely nice to see the name back in style. Harrison (#107) might have something to do with the increase in popularity. Some other ideas might be a surname trend or the increase in vintage name usage. 

Simeon and Kaiser did not make it onto the list. In 2016, 199 babies were named Simeon, that is just a few more babies then the year before. It is just 4 more to be exact. If you take a look at the ranks then Simeon dropped a few ranks since the year before. Even then it was just 12 spots out of the top 1000. I'm not sure if I would add this name to my prediction list next year. I guess time will tell. 

When I was making my predictions I said that Kaiser was my long shot on the list so I am not surprised that it didn't make the top 1000 list. What I am surprised about is it was in spot #1001! That is one spot away from the top 1000. And it gets even more shocking. Jonathan, the #1000 name in 2016, was given to 202 babies. In 2016, 202 babies were given the name Kaiser. 




The last time Mavis was in the top 1000 was in 1963. Now Mavis is back on the top 1000 at #789. Its nice to see it back on the list. More and more I am noticing vintage names are coming back into style and I am loving it. I do think that even though it is now in the 700s its still a rare name that you might not hear very often. 

Ramona has ranked in the top 1000 at #951 for the first time since 1988. I have to say I would be pretty upset if I did not see Ramona in the top names. Its such a great name with a  vintage charm just like Mavis. I think more and more vintage animus are catching on. It has to be that 100 year rule thing that I have heard other names talk about. 

India and Etta did not make the list. Talk about a coincidence but 262 babies were named India in 2016 and the same amount in 2015! The worst part about this year is that India was #1001 and missed the top 100 by 1 spot! It was given to just one less baby than the #1000 name Meilani. 

In 2016 Etta was given to 256 babies. That is up since the year before. There were only 242 babies named Etta in 2015. It ranked at #1026, an increase of 53 spots. I can imagine it making its way up into the top 1000 next year for sure. I'm pretty upset that Etta hasn't caught on yet. Its such  great name. 

I feel like I did really well getting 50% of my predictions right. Kaiser and India were so close to making the top 1000 list! One spot you guys! I am actually excited to make this a yearly thing and can't wait to make predictions next year. 


 photo small blog signature_zpsmlvv5oyk.png


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...